My love for cooking wasn’t just something that happened out of the blue. I have been helping my Mom and Mimi cook since I was just a ‘lil thang. I can remember heading over to my Mimi’s house so excited about what we were going to cook that day. One of my favorite things she makes is homemade rosemary foccacia bread! Always with a warm cup of soup… this has me craving fall like none other!
She has given me so many of her recipes and this is hands down one of my favorites to date! I promise once you make this once, you will be hooked!
This recipe is super easy and is perfect to add to the dinner menu, take to a friends house, or even to the office. They will all be asking for the recipe! Let’s get right to it…
WHAT YOU NEED:
3 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cup warm milk or water ( about 110°F – I use almond milk)
1 package active-dry yeast
1 tsp minced garlic
2 sprigs fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
1/4 Cup olive oil or avocado oil (I’ve tried both!) Will also need some for drizzling on top
1 tsp. pink himalayan sea salt, plus a few pinches for on top
2 tsp. honey, plus more for drizzling on top
*optional* 1/3 cup fresh grated parmesan
WHAT TO DO:
- Add warm milk (or water) and honey to a large bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top of the water. Give the yeast a quick stir to mix it in. Then let it sit for 5-10 minute until the yeast is foamy.
- In the large bowl, gradually add flour, olive oil/avocado oil and pink himalayan salt. If the dough is too sticky after all the flour is added, add in an extra 1/4 C. flour.
- Remove dough from the bowl, and use your hands to shape it into a ball. dust the counter with flour and knead the dough for a good 2-3 minutes.
- Grease a separate bowl with your choice of oil. Place the dough in the bowl and cover it with a damp towel. Let it rise for 45 mins to an hour, or until the dough has nearly doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Turn the dough onto a floured surface, and roll it out into a large circle or rectangle until that the dough is about 1/2- 1 inch thick (depending on your preference- I like thicker). Cover the dough with a greased piece of plastic wrap, and let the dough continue to rise for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap, and transfer the dough to a large baking sheet. Use your fingers to poke deep dents all over the surface of the dough. Then drizzle two tablespoons of olive oil evenly over the top of the dough and sprinkle evenly with the fresh rosemary, minced garlic, parmesan cheese, and pink himalayan salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the dough is slightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven, and drizzle with a little more olive oil and honey.
- Slice, and serve warm!
Seriously, try this soon! You will be making it all the time- it’s that addicting!